Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween 2012

After close to $100 worth of candy, a good 8 1/2 minutes of decorating, and at least one bottle of cheap wine...we survived another Halloween in Midtown Mobile! Yippee!

Halloween is awesome. I've always loved Halloween, even during my pitiful childhood Halloweens, which can be read about here. Halloween in Midtown is really special because there are literally hundreds of kids trick-or-treating up and down the streets. We even put up barricades on either end of our street so no traffic can come through, complete with police officers to keep an eye on things. It's great!

In case you were wondering, Charlotte was a bumble bee. And she was the cutest bee on the block!


And because everyone needs to see the wings...


Since we have so many kids trick-or-treating in our neighborhood, I have a few rules for candy distribution:

1.) No costume, no candy! - If you can't put forth the effot to wear a costume, why should I fork over my candy (that required quite a bit of effort to buy) to you? I realize that some people might not have a lot of extra money to spend on Halloween, which is totally understandable. It's not like I'm checking labels for Pottery Barn costumes! But anyone with a bit of creativity can make a costume out of things just lying around the house so don't come at me with those excuses.

2.) One stop per house! - Don't be a greedy gut, kids (or parents, for that matter)! One stop per house is going to result in plenty of candy to fill that Walmart sack. If I recognize the same kid from earlier in the night, I will straight up deny the goods.

3.) Teens are allowed, but only with a costume! - I turned away quite a few teenagers last night with no costumes. I don't have a problem with teens going trick-or-treating, but only if they suffer through the humiliation of wearing a costume. And I don't buy those "I'm a student!" excuses, either.

4.) Better costumes deserve better candy. - It's never too early for a child to learn that hard work pays off. A better-executed or more creative costume deserves a mini Snickers or Twix. Simply throwing your Winn-Dixie apron on over your jeans and T-shirt and calling yourself a cashier does not warrant the good stuff in my book. Thankfully I had plenty of Smarties and Dum-Dums to go around.

5.) Good manners = Extra Candy! - If a child is super polite and waits their turn, I ALWAYS give them more. Again, it's never too early to learn that good manners and a smile will get you much more in life!

I hope you had a wonderful and safe Halloween in your neighborhood, too! It appears that November is now here, so it's time to give thanks for all the blessings in our lives. My goal is to post every day for the month of November and say something I'm thankful for. It's a good reminder to myself, and maybe to someone else, to stay positive and look for the good things in life rather than focus on what we don't have.

Today, I am thankful for Greekfest and Lamar Advertising, without which I would not be eating free Greek food for lunch. Opa!

No comments:

Post a Comment