Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving has once again come and gone, and I'm still sitting here asking myself "what happened to 2012?!?!" The Christmas Season is officially upon us, although I've been pretending not to notice the red and green aisles at WalMart for about a month  now.

Geez, Santa! Give me a chance to take down my spiderwebs and jack o'lanterns before making me put up my Christmas tree!

So anywhoo....I'm sure you're on pins and needles waiting to hear about what we did over the Thanksgiving break! (Total sarcasm, by the way, in case you didn't catch it)

H had to work Wednesday and Thursday night, so he wasn't around for the celebrations. Charlotte and I got up early to pick up H's Nana and head to Dauphin Island for our Turkey Day Festivities. My mom asked me if I was bringin anything and I said, "Yep! The grandbaby and the granddaughter-that's enough!"

And I was only half kidding. Anyone who has ever been in a car with a 1 1/2 year old for over an hour knows what I'm talking about. It's about as much fun as a fart in a phone booth.

We went to my in-law's house on the island and had a nice afternoon. The weather was just as beautiful as the scenery, and the food was delish. We had fried turkey and some ham and a plethora of casseroles. I'm serious, we had nothing but casseroles-spinach, corn, sweet potato, pineapple, and dressing. It was all very good, but can't a girl get some fresh peas or just plain veggies!?!?!

As a matter of fact, she can, but only if she drives her entire family (Lab included) 3 hours to the east and eats at her Granny's! Don't get me wrong, Dauphin Island is nice, but NO PLACE holds a candle to my Granny and PawPaw's house. And there is nothing like her cooking, either. Dumplings, peas, creamed corn, sweet potatoes, homemade cakes....it is nothing short of miracle. Every. Single. Time.

On Friday evening, H and I borrowed my grandparent's Gator and rode dirt roads. I may love me some expensive purses and a nice hotel, but my heart is in the woods. To be more specific, on a dirt road in the woods. I love being able to see a million stars and hear a whipporwill in a pine. There are no sounds that don't come from nature, and it's a glorious thing. I just don't understand how a person can see all of the beauty in nature and question God's existence. I feel closer to God outside than I probably ever will in a church. (No offense to churches)

We also went to see my Me-Mama in the nursing home, where I happily avoided the Auburn-AL game. There's no need to talk about that here. On Saturday night H and I went to a little get-together at one of my dear friend's and ex-roommate's house. It's fun to catch up on the latest gossip while eating raw oysters and laughing my arse off around a bonfire. I've got some mighty good friends, let me tell ya.


Sunday we made the long trip back to Mobile and got stuff ready for the week ahead. Which for me meant laundry and cleaning, and for H meant watching the Saints and the baby. No matter how nice it is to get away, it's always nice to get back home, too.

Overall, it was a wonderful little holiday! I'm so very thankful for all the blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment