Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Happy Birthday!

This is my best friend Nicole (on the left). She has been my best friend and the closest thing I have ever had to a sister. I used to get so mad at my parents because they never gave me a sibling--but that was until I realized Nicole was better than the real thing. I could send her home when we were tired of each other!

But that rarely happens.

We have been the two best friends that anyone could ever have (name that tune!) since elementary school, and today is her birthday. She is old. And although it used to KILL me when I was 20---I am still younger! Neener, neener, neener! Happy Birthday Nicole!

She is beautiful inside and out.

I know she will never judge me or make fun of me. As a matter of fact, she once beat the crap of some girl because she was mean to me in middle school. You see, I've always had a problem with my mouth writing checks my butt can't cash. Lucky for me...Nicole takes up my slack.


She is the MOST hard-working girl I've ever met. She is also completely unselfish and always manages to put her family first. She would give you the shirt off her back if she loved you and you needed a shirt. She is physically strong and can carry large loads of crap to the beach.

She has great style and always knows how to have a good time! Sometimes she is crude and gross--but in the best possible way.

She is a fabulous dancer. But most of all, she is the type of person who is ALWAYS ready to get out on the dance floor! We don't do "wallflower" to say the least! We have been through 5 proms, first loves, high school sports, college, being roommates, not being roommates, being roommates again, two marriages, one big move, one divorce, being roommates again, and another big move. We have lost friends together, made new friends, watched old boyfriends move on without us, sang songs, fought, made up, gotten drunk, gotten too drunk, hugged, danced, and laughed A LOT.



We like to hug. She recognizes that sometimes I am NOT in a hugging mood, and then she leaves me alone. You see, Nicole is my best friend because she understands what makes me tick, what makes me laugh, what makes me mad....she just knows me. Probably better than anyone else in the world. And despite all of that, she still loves me. Even when I am mean, cold-hearted, snarky, snotty, etc etc etc....she loves me and she lets me be.


We used to compete over all sorts of things. I used to think she had everything in the world that I wanted. She had beautiful straight blond hair. She was tall and slim. She was incredibly athletic. All she had to do was look at a boy and they instantly came running (usually pushing me aside in the process, but that's okay). I went through quite an awkward stage (which I may still be in, the jury is still out) and she never missed a day without curled bangs or a boyfriend.



Then I realized if I couldn't BE Nicole, the next best thing was to be her BFF! And twenty-some-odd-years later....we are still best friends. FOREVER.


I wish I had the words to truly describe her. She is silly and charming, disgusting and funny, beautiful and natural. She has an ease about her. In a completely non-Lesbian way (not that there's anything wrong with that) she completes me. And as long as she lives on a different coast...a little part of my heart is missing.

We officially CAN NOT spend another birthday apart!!!

Come home soon! But until then....

Happy Birthday! Welcome to 25 (again)!




































No comments:

Post a Comment