Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This time last year...

I can't believe it has been a year since Charlotte came into our lives. What a sweet, funny, spirited little thing she is!

The night before she was born I remember exactly how I felt. I was SO nervous about the entire ordeal. Neither H or myself had ever even changed a diaper, never given a kid a bath, never rocked a baby to sleep. All I could think about was the fact that she was on the inside (my insides!) and somehow, someway...she was gonna be on the outside the next day. I'm the kind of person that likes to be prepared. I like to know what to expect when going into a situation. But childbirth is something that is a different experience for every single woman who goes through it, so there was no way to prepare myself for what was about to happen the next day.

H drove me to the hospital on the morning of June 27, 2011, and I don't even think I said two words the whole way there. When I'm nervous or anxious or scared I get pretty quite. I learned pretty quickly that childbirth is much like getting a haircut--once it starts, you're officially ALL IN.

I can barely fathom the thought that H and I have been parents for a full year as of today. We've stumbled a couple of times, but for the most part I think we're doing pretty darn good. It's hard work, sometimes aggravating and frustrating and seemingly impossible. Did I mention exhausting? But it's also wonderful and sweet and fulfilling, all of the things people promised me it would be.

Even at only a year old, I can see the personality traits and temperament already coming through. She is stubborn and determined, yet sweet and lovable. She loves to "love" her pink bear--giving him a big hug with every request. She is inquisitive, independent, funny and lively. She enjoys eating fruit (especially watermelon) and green beans, and she enjoys giving her leftovers to the two mangy mutts that have learned to hang out underneath her high chair. Her bright blue eyes take in so much around her you can almost see the thought processes on her little face. Take her outside to do anything-even if it's just a walk-and she is in heaven. Her favorite toys are cell phones, remotes, her pink bear, books, and my makeup bag. And although it hasn't been here long, her new pink car is quickly moving to the top of the list!

I'm so thankful God trusted us with this little girl. I hope I can instill in her all the things she will need to be successful in life. In the past year, which might be the shortest year in history, she has brought so much joy into our lives. It is still amazing how Charlotte has completed our family when we didn't even realize we were missing something.

Happy Birthday Boopsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment