Friday, June 22, 2012

Where We Eat (sometimes)


Today is another "Show Us Your Life" over at Kelly's Korner! Over the past few weeks she has been a tour of homes with a different room featured each week. This week is....Dining Rooms! Wah wah wah. Not the most exciting room in the house, or at least not at my house.


I've missed the past few weeks because I don't really have any updated pictures of my house. I wish I had that magic touch that some people are naturally born with. You know what I'm talking about--some people can take what I would consider a piece of junk and turn it into something ready for the center spread of next month's Southern Living.

I ain't that girl.

My problem (among other things) is that my taste always exceeds my budget. I will inevitably be drawn to the MOST expensive vase/bowl/rug/etc in the store, and then I will think "I bet I can recreate this look in a second!"  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time I have to call in reinforcements.

Her name is Holly and she is my mother-in-law/decorator/artist. She has that left-brain touch to turn the mundane into the FABULOUS!

This is my dining room and living room all decorated for Christmas. My dining room furniture was the first real furniture we bought once we got married. I was selling ads for the newspaper, and one of my clients was J & J Furniture. It's locally owned and operated and they have great prices and a great selection. I remember being SO proud that we finally had furniture that didn't previously belong to a relative.


And here is the table, all dressed up for our annual Joe Cain Brunch! Joe Cain Sunday is the Sunday before Fat Tuesday so it's right in the heart of Mardi Gras weekend. We host a brunch for friends and family before heading downtown to watch parades all day. Joe Cain Sunday is considered the "People's Parade" day. If you would like a little background on Joe Cain and how Mardi Gras got started in Mobile, AL (not New Orleans, folks!!!!) check out this story.

And here she is with no makeup. There have been a few changes since this photo was taken, but it's still pretty much the same.


Unlike a lot of people, we use our dining room table a good bit. It's got a good flow for parties and crowds, but it's also small enough for an intimate dinner. It has six chairs and we have the option to add the center leaf if we need a little more elbow room. Overall, I'd say we have been very happy with our purchase!


1 comment:

  1. I'm stopping by via Kelly's Korner.
    I love that you showed the different various looks.
    I remember when my husband and I purchased our first piece of furniture. We were also thrilled.
    You have created a wonderful room to entertain and enjoy delicious meals in.

    ReplyDelete